There are many considerations that need to go into creating a learning game. Here are three questions you should ask before you begin.
1) What business problem is prompting the need for the game?
– Lack of sales?
– Lack of customer service?
– Time Problems?
2) What are the learners not doing now that they should be doing in terms of the problem described above?
3) What is the desired outcome of the game? What do you want the learner to be able to do or to know after playing the game?
– Gain knowledge
– Change in behavior/attitude
– Learn a skills
– All of the above (complicated game)
Of course you’ll also have technical issues, art issues and other types of questions but…without answering these first three questions, I don’t think you should even get started.