Here are some ideas that Gen Y employees or the Gamer Generation can use to better acclimate themselves to the workforce.
1. Seek out a boomer or X’er to serve as a mentor.
2. Mentor a co-worker who is not as comfortable with Technology.
3. Learn the hierarchical structure in your organization, respect it. Talent and skill (unfortunately) can be under cut by politics, know the landscape prior to action.
4. Learn the history (influences) of the boomer and X’er generation. Those who don’t study history….
5. Create cheat sheets (job aids) for yourself, verify with your boss or co-workers.(share)
6. Be patient.
7. Ask open-ended questions to glean knowledge from your co-workers.
8. Offer to IM with a co-worker who doesn’t IM or Twitter with them.
9. Set up a wiki and give lessons (in a classroom) on how to update.
10. Show a boomer or X’er how to work a gadget or how to work an obscure but valuable feature.
11. Take some time to read corporate policies and procedures, they can be enlightening and valuable.
12. Think of ways to interact with boomers & X’ers to help them understand your thinking.
13. Work to understand the thinking of boomers and X’ers, some of it really does make sense!
14. Take a different boomer or X’er to lunch every day, talk about what he or she knows—take notes.
15. Get up and visit a boomer, don’t just send an email or IM.
16. Volunteer to digitally record production operations and chunk them for quick viewing. Like a corporate YouTube.
What suggestions do yo have?